Monday, June 13, 2011

The Very Worst Yummy Mummy

source

I read a really interesting blog post today on Jamie The Very Worst Missionary. If you don't already read her blog, you should, right now! She was talking about how God had spoken to her about being herself (and not a gay 19th century poet) and being who He made her to be. She put the question to her readers, "Who is He telling you you're not, so that you can be who you are?".

A couple of months ago I was driving along with my mother in law, when she asked me what exactly a 'Yummy Mummy' is. She had heard the phrase but wasn't quite sure what it meant. I went to describe the usually thirty something, pretty, rich women that shop in Brown Thomas and drive SUV's. They frequent Mother and Toddler Groups beautifully dressed and in full make-up. A Yummy Mummy's house is always immaculate and smells of freshly baked goods. I know what you're thinking, these women do not exist. No, they don't, not completely but you probably still know the kind of mother I'm talking about.

I am not a yummy mummy. I'm younger than all the mothers that I know, I can't afford to shop in Brown Thomas and don't even know how to drive. Most days I'm lucky if I brush my teeth and my hair, usually it's seems to be one or the other {grin}. I'm slowly growing to hate house work so my house has been pretty messy for a while now. I don't have it all figured out, I don't even have most of it figured out.

Someone once described  me as a neon brick. I'm not very subtle. Even though I hate confrontation, I die inside when I can't speak my mind, right or wrong. I hate awkward silences so will fill them with chat if no one else will. Any elephants in the room are usually pointed out and if they're not it'll really get to me. However uncomfortable I can be in my own skin sometimes, I know this is how God made me to be. He uses my words to speak into people's lives and sometimes to point out the big, fat, ugly mammal in the room. So many times my messy life has somehow been used to encourage someone else in their mess.


So, as I sit here in my messy house with my dirty dishes piled high and badly in need of a shower, I hope you're challenged by Jamie's question too and maybe even encouraged to go be who you are.

No more yummy mummy aspirations for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment